Saturday, November 22, 2008

'The triform porter stands amazed'


Boethius' The Consolation of Philosophy is one of those books that is worth revisiting later in life. It contains much that is useful to know and remember, even though it was written for and about late Roman audiences and times - particularly criminal emperors with fantastic wealth, Theodoric!

Of all the parts of the book, my interest was most piqued by the discussion early in Book IV about the nature of evil and evil acts. The principal claim is that the wicked do not exist: "anything which turns away from goodness ceases to exist ... That [the wicked] used to be human is shown by the human appearance of their body which still remains...[Anyone who is wicked] sinks to the level of an animal." Recently, a friend with high moral sense referred to those who frequent nightclubs as moths attracted by one of those insect zappers. Whether consciously or not, he was echoing Boethius's thoughts more than 1500 years ago!

3 comments:

Veri-Tea said...

If you liked the Consolatio Philosophiae, you would probably also like Augustnie's City of God or his Confessions - I can lend you the latter but sadly I don't own the former, a definite oversight as I find I regularly need to refer to it for academic purposes...

Arvanem said...

Thank you for the recommendation. I look forward to the Confessions. Some weeks ago, I quoted St Augustine's remark "Oh lord, give me chastity, but not yet" in a farcical speech to Rostrum about Ben Cousins (former AFL footballer and drug addict) becoming a monk. Much hilarity ensued!

Arvanem said...

Incidentally, I can look around at Borders in Melbourne for a copy of City of God. If I find one, would you like me to buy it for you - or order a copy - for when you come over for Christmas?